How to Keep Your Home Cool in Extreme Heat
September 2, 2021
Extreme heat makes life uncomfortable for many. It becomes a struggle to get things done around the house and stay focused on what is essential. If you have ever wondered about how you can keep your home cool on extremely hot days, here are a few cool tips and tricks to escape the heat.
How Heat Affects Your Home
Extreme temperatures impact your home much in the same way that it impacts the human body. AC and HVAC systems run overtime to cool the building down, placing strain on parts and filtration systems. The heat can accelerate the growth of mold and mildew, causing damage to walls and making them costly to maintain in the long run.
Soaring temperatures can raise your household expenditure with expensive energy bills and additionally place strain on your cooling systems racking up maintenance and replacement bills.
Keeping it Old School Cool
Keeping your home cool during scorching days of the year doesn’t have to cost you a lot. Small changes can make life comfortable regardless of the temperature outside. Try these tips to keep your home cool on sweltering days.
- Adjust your fans - Adjust and clean your ceiling fans. The blades should rotate counterclockwise to push cool air down and pull hot air up and away from you in summer.
- Raise the temperature - Lowering your AC down too low can reduce the efficiency of your HVAC and cost you money on expensive repairs in the long run.
- Keep it natural - Wear clothing made from natural fibers, and opt for natural fiber material furnishings where possible. These will help reduce the heat and how it impacts you.
- Draw the blinds - Properly installed curtains and blinds should be closed during the hottest parts of the day. Good quality blackout window shades can act as an additional insulation layer, keeping the heat from entering and heating your home.
- Household check-ups - Regularly check your house when the season changes. Check the insulation and ceilings, repair any cracks or breakages. Manage any damp that forms; dampness and moisture can increase the ambient temperature of your home.
- Window replacements - A little more costly, however part of the problem is a lack of insulation. Windows that have cracks or are dated and old can allow heat to filter into your home. Replacing your windows can help you cut back on your energy costs and keep your home cool when needed.
Smart Tech for Cool Homes
Savvy homeowners are turning to intelligent tech solutions to keep their home temperatures from soaring too high. Smart sensors installed in your home to track air and ambient temperatures, as well as water leakages, can help you manage your home in extreme heat situations.
Smart home management tools can help you stay on top of maintenance and alert you to any significant temperature fluctuations or possible issues that may arise should you experience a scorching day.
ShipShape: Keep Your Home Cool
Are you concerned about keeping your home cooler in the hot summer months? Would you like to manage your property maintenance accurately and on time? Shipshape technology can make property management easy. Get in touch with us today to find out more about what we can do to help keep your home cool.